Fresno’s Trusted Junk Removal Service
Breaking Down An Old Couch
Get A Free Instant Quote Fill The Form Below
Many people have a couch in their living room. Couches can make a room more comfortable and stylish. But over time an old or damaged couch can begin to cramp the style of home and affect the decor. Plus, Sitting on a damaged couch can cause back pain. Yet sometimes removing the damaged or old couch can be more difficult than replacing it. This is because most couches and sofas are big and difficult to remove. That’s why most people end up renting a dumpster or hiring a professional service like us, The Junk Gentlemen who specializes in junk removal.
Hiring a professional service provider for couch disposal will require less effort and save you the chance of injury, trying to carry a heavy sofa out of your home. Another reason to have a professional service come to your home is that here at The Junk Gentlemen we also recycle the couch whenever possible. Hiring our services is a great option if many furniture items have to be disposed of or if the couch does not belong to the property owner. Here are a few options to consider when you are thinking of getting rid of an old heavy sofa:
Couch Disposal Options
One of the best ways of getting rid of a couch is having someone take the couch away for free. But whether or not you can find someone willing to a haul away a cheap or broken couch will vary on where you live. Here are some other choices you can examine:
- The retail store where the couch was purchased will sometimes take it away, yet they will usually charge a fee for couch disposal
- Habitat for Humanity and other charities may be considered. One of the benefits of a sofa or couch donation is that it is possible to deduct the amount from the taxes which have to be paid. Yet charities will only accept clean couches in near perfect condition. Most couches which are used for many years, are worn out and not in very good condition
- Some couch owners may leave their old couch on the curb, hoping that strangers will take it. This may happen in some areas. However, it is difficult for people to take a couch because of its large size. Few people are interested in taking larger items left on the curb. Also if it rains, it will be difficult to carry an old couch which is wet
- the local waste management may be contacted to find out if they take away oversized or heavy items. They may offer this service on specific days of the season or month, however, they may charge extra for the service. This additional charge may be less than the cost of hiring a person specifically to take the item away. Another reason to steer clear of city waste management is they often do not provide a tax-deductible receipt for recycling. If you own a business that gets rid of a ton of old furniture, the benefits of these tax deductions can add up at the end of the year.
- A good ad online on Craig's List may help. To get a better response, the images should be large, clear and detailed descriptions should be provided. These ads get the best response during the first few days after they are posted.
- If you have a flatbed truck or can borrow one, the truck can be used to take the couch to the nearest dump and some expenses will be incurred. Renting U-Haul is another option
- Since the sofa has some metal parts in the framework or arms, the local scrap dealer may be interested. However, the coach will have to be delivered to them
Breaking Down A Sofa, Couch To Dump it
You can also disassemble the couch or sofa using some tools, spending time, so that he dump parts of the couch in the trash bin or dumpster for free using the following steps:
- the tools required are a box cutter, circular saw or hand saw. Your clothes may become dirty or get torn while doing the work. It is advisable to wear safety gear like gloves, safety goggles, and a face mask to prevent inhalation of particles
- If someone else owned the sofa, clothes should be washed soon afterward. This is because the sofa or couch may have bed bugs or other small pests that will cling to your clothing and invade your home
- The first step involves cutting the padding using a box cutter or a circular saw. The cushion material should be handled carefully since it may have toxic properties, and the dust they make when being broken down can be harmful to your lungs. The cushions should be discarded
- The fabric should be removed, exposing the wooden frame
- The wooden frame should be cut into smaller parts which can be easily discarded. Springs, nails and other metal parts should be avoided while sawing with power saws
- All these parts can then be dumped in the trash cash or dumpster. Though this process is time-consuming and tedious it is free.
The Junk gentlemen help homeowners dispose of their unwanted couch or sofa in an Eco-friendly manner, giving it to charities if it is in good condition or recycling it.